Case closed on Heed’s tainted election

Elections BC has dismissed complaints from an opposition MLA and the candidate Heed defeated in the 2009 B.C. election.

Vancouver-Fraserview MLA Kash Heed announces his resignation as public safety minister after an investigation began into his 2009 campaign spending last year.

VICTORIA – Elections BC has dismissed complaints from an opposition MLA and the candidate B.C. Liberal MLA Kash Heed defeated in the 2009 B.C. election.

Heed’s former campaign manager Barinder Sall had alleged in an interview with CBC television that there was a further $40,000 in unreported spending by the B.C. Liberal campaign in in Vancouver-Fraserview.

Keith Archer, the new chief electoral officer for Elections BC, announced Thursday that that allegation was examined by police and a special prosecutor investigating the disputed election. Complaints to Elections BC from NDP justice critic Leonard Krog and Gabriel Yiu, the NDP candidate defeated in Vancouver-Fraserview by 748 votes, did not contain any new information and the case is now closed, Archer said.

In August, Heed was fined $8,000 for exceeding election spending limits and had to repay a $5,000 that was overspent, but the judge did not order a new election. Heed has maintained he did not know about the undeclared spending for anonymous brochures targeting the NDP.

Sall and printer Dinesh Khanna pleaded guilty in October to offences under the Elections Act for printing and distributing the Chinese-language brochures, which accused the NDP of supporting the legalization of drugs and prostitution.

Krog said Thursday the election in Vancouver-Fraserview remains tainted, and Heed should at least apologize for what his campaign team did.

Premier Christy Clark has said it will be up to the B.C. Liberal caucus to decide if Heed would be allowed to remain as a party MLA.

Just Posted

20th annual walk-a-thon held on May 26

St. John Hospital Auxiliary group is raising money to buy equipment for the hospital

Gallery — 2019 Madison Poker Ride

It’s been eight years since Madison Scott went missing from Hogsback Lake

Category 2 open fires are now prohibited across the Prince George Fire Centre

The first ban was set on May 8 that covered the Stuart Nechako and Prince George Forest District

Photo Gallery: Kids have a blast during the ‘Fun Run’ organized by David Hoy Elementary School

Elementary school students across school district 91 participated in the event

Fire ban back in effect for Northwest Fire Centre region

Starting May 24, both Category 2 and Category 3 prohibitions will be in place

REPLAY: The best videos from across B.C. this week

In case you missed it, here’s a look at the replay-worth highlights from this week in the province

Social media giants in hot seat as politicians consider regulations in Ottawa

Committee members will also grill representatives from Facebook, Twitter

Police say it’s “impressive” no arrests were made after Raptors celebrations

Toronto will play the Western Conference champion Golden State Warriors next

Wildfire crews watching for dangerous wind shift in High Level, Alta.

The Chuckegg Creek fire is raging out of control about three kilometres southwest of the town

UN urges Canada to take more vulnerable Mexican migrants from Central America

The request comes as the United States takes a harder line on its Mexican border

Mistrial declared in Jamie Bacon murder plot trial

Bacon was on trial for counselling to commit the murder of Person X

B.C. VIEWS: Money-laundering melodrama made for TV

Public inquiry staged to point fingers before 2021 election

Canadian homebuyers escaping high housing costs by moving to secondary cities

In British Columbia, exurbs have grown in the Hope Valley and Kamloops

Most Read