Councillor Darren Carpenter and Vanderhoof Youth Soccer Association's president Charlene Neufeld stand where the new Vanderhoof soccer fields will be next May.

Councillor Darren Carpenter and Vanderhoof Youth Soccer Association's president Charlene Neufeld stand where the new Vanderhoof soccer fields will be next May.

From hardball to soccer

Vanderhoof and the Vanderhoof Youth Soccer Association are in the process of transforming the towns hardball diamonds into a soccer field

Jesse Cole

Omineca Express

 

 

 

Come this May sports teams will no longer need to argue over who gets to use the Nechako Valley Secondary School’s (NVSS) sports field as the town of Vanderhoof in partnership with the Vanderhoof Youth Soccer Association are turning the towns derelict hardball diamonds into a new soccer pitch.

Councillor Darren Carpenter says that the new fields, located behind McLeod Elementary, will be playable by May of next year, just in time for soccer season.

“The soccer association has about 380 people that play from the ages of five to 18,” said Carpenter. “As the years have gone by that number has grown and grown and we’ve currently had them over at the NVSS field. But as time has progressed it’s just become more of a finite resource,” Carpenter said of the NVSS fields use.

The idea to create a space specifically designed for soccer is not new, the Vanderhoof Youth Soccer Association first approached council about finding a place to use for soccer as far back as 2007.

“We’re pretty excited about it, it’s been a long time coming for the soccer association,” said Carpenter.

Initially, Riverside Park had been chosen as the place to create the fields, but the soccer association as well as council found that the public was against the idea of having organized sport designated at the park, and so they went about procuring another plot of land for the project.

Charlene Neufeld, who is the president of the Vanderhoof Youth Soccer Association, said that with the new fields in place, it will allow the soccer teams from the region to have tournaments, something that hasn’t been possible for a long time.

“A few years ago a lot of the older kids came back to play and all of the communities had a U-18 team. It’s nice because you want to keep them active,” she said.

The proposed soccer field has already been undergoing renovations throughout the summer including the removal of the hardball facilities, fencing and dug outs from the area.

So far the cost has been low, with only $20,000 allocated to the reclamation project. Of that $20,000, Carpenter believes the cost thus far has only been between $10,000 and $15,000 but the report has yet to be received.

Council has designated the area as a public resource, creating a policy to provide the facility with funding which will ensure that regardless of the outcomes of the upcoming municipal election, the area will become soccer fields.

Now until the snow flies, the field will undergo levelling and other refurbishing procedures to have it ready for next May, “at the end of the day we want to see kids active in our community,” said Carpenter.

 

 

 

Just Posted

The Binche Fishing Derby at Stuart Lake is fast approaching. (Binche Fishing Derby Facebook photo)
Binche shares excitement for upcoming fishing derby

“It’s more than just fishing,” says Dave Birdi

A person receives a COVID-19 vaccine at a vaccination clinic run by Vancouver Coastal Health, in Richmond, B.C., Saturday, April 10, 2021. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward)
Local youth vaccination clinics underway

Pfizer vaccine will be used

Priya Sharma. (Submitted)
Column: Why ultimatums don’t work

By Priya Sharma It is a common misconception that people can choose… Continue reading

Marco Mendicino, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship during a press conference in Ottawa on Thursday, May 13, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Canada to welcome 45,000 refugees this year, says immigration minister

Canada plans to increase persons admitted from 23,500 to 45,000 and expedite permanent residency applications

Emily Steele holds up a collage of her son, 16-year-old Elijah-Iain Beauregard who was stabbed and killed in June 2019, outside of Kelowna Law Courts on June 18. (Aaron Hemens/Capital News)
Kelowna woman who fatally stabbed teen facing up to 1.5 years of jail time

Her jail sentence would be followed by an additional one to 1.5 years of supervision

Cpl. Scott MacLeod and Police Service Dog Jago. Jago was killed in the line of duty on Thursday, June 17. (RCMP)
Abbotsford police, RCMP grieve 4-year-old service dog killed in line of duty

Jago killed by armed suspect during ‘high-risk’ incident in Alberta

The George Road wildfire near Lytton, B.C., has grown to 250 hectares. (BC Wildfire Service)
B.C. drone sighting halts helicopters fighting 250 hectares of wildfire

‘If a drone collides with firefighting aircraft the consequences could be deadly,’ says BC Wildfire Service

A dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is pictured at a vaccination site in Vancouver Thursday, March 11, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
NACI advice to mix vaccines gets varied reaction from AstraZeneca double-dosers

NACI recommends an mRNA vaccine for all Canadians receiving a second dose of a COVID-19 vaccine

A aerial view shows the debris going into Quesnel Lake caused by a tailings pond breach near the town of Likely, B.C., Tuesday, Aug. 5, 2014. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Updated tailings code after Mount Polley an improvement: B.C. mines auditor

British Columbia’s chief auditor of mines has found changes to the province’s requirements for tailings storage facilities

A North Vancouver man was arrested Friday and three police officers were injured after a 10-person broke out at English Bay on June 19, 2021. (Youtube/Screen grab)
Man arrested, 3 police injured during 10-person brawl at Vancouver beach

The arrest was captured on video by bystanders, many of whom heckled the officers as they struggled with the handcuffed man

Patrick O’Brien, a 75-year-old fisherman, went missing near Port Angeles Thursday evening. (Courtesy of U.S. Coast Guard)
Search for lost fisherman near Victoria suspended, U.S. Coast Guard says

The 75-year-old man was reported missing Thursday evening

Most Read