Grant gets Nechako search and rescue back in action

Nechako Valley SAR receives Community Gaming Grant from the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General following $10,000 gear theft.

The capacity of the Nechako Valley Search and Rescue (SAR) team will soon be restored.

Last weekend, following the theft of more than $10,000 worth of communications and navigations gear, the SAR team received written approval for a Community Gaming Grant from the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General.

The team submitted the grant application in August 2011.

Last month, a cache of radios, global positioning systems (GPS) and compasses was stolen from a Nechako Valley SAR vehicle awaiting repairs at a Vanderhoof mechanical shop.

Some of the grant money will be used to purchase new waterproof radios that can be used for both the team’s SAR water and ground operations.

From an optimistic standpoint, the stolen radios were of a discontinued model and were due for replacement with a higher-quality, more sophisticated version, said Nechako Valley SAR leader Chris Mushumanski.

“Top-end equipment is necessary,” he said.

“You can’t have somebody hanging on a rope, or in the middle of a river, and their radio quits on them because it was a cheap model and now lives are at risk. That’s unacceptable.”

In light of the theft, special permission from the ministry is required by the team to reallocate some of the funds to purchase new GPS, valued between $3,000 and $5,000.

The GPS are considered critical hardware and essential to SAR operations, particularly on land, said Mushumanski.

In one of the ground searches for Madison Scott, for example, Nechako Valley SAR utilized all 15 of their GPS units to map and record field data.

“When you have a larger search like that, it’s very easy to go through equipment in a real short amount of time,” said Mushumanski.

By April 2013, the team hopes to have the new GPS units in place, along with the proper operational training.

Like other teams across the province, Nechako Valley SAR doesn’t have a regular source of funding. The team provides services on a volunteer-basis, relying on fundraising, provincial grants and financial assistance from the District of Vanderhoof and the Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako to cover ongoing expenses and operating costs.

In response to the gear theft, members of the community have come forward with donations to help replace the stolen gear.

Donations by cash or cheque, written to the Nechako Valley Search and Rescue, are being accepted at the Omineca Express at 150 W. Columbia Street, and Fountain Tire at 599 Highway 16 W. in Vanderhoof. Chris Mushumanski can also be contacted for more information at 250.567.0972.

Mushumanski also wants the community to know that the Nechako Valley SAR team is always looking for new members.

“We’re always happy to have people join us, learn about SAR and see what they can do to help serve their community,” he said.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Snowfall warning issued for Vanderhoof, Fraser Lake and surrounding communities.
Snowfall warning issued for B.C.’s Interior

Between 10 - 15 cms of snow expected in the Prince George, Stuart - Nechako region

Fort St. James Secondary School announced a confirmed incident of COVID-19 exposure at the school. (Black Press file photo)
COVID-19 exposure confirmed at Fort St. James Secondary School

Northern Health will be following up directly with anyone who is identified as a close contact

RDBN board meeting. (Priyanka Ketkar photo/Lakes District News)
Thiessen and Parker re-elected to RDBN board

The board voted unanimously on Nov. 19

Idyllic winter scenes are part of the atmosphere of the holiday season, and are depicted in many seasonal movies. How much do you know about holiday movies? Put your knowledge to the test. (Pixabay.com)
QUIZ: Test your knowledge of holiday movies and television specials

The festive season is a time for relaxing and enjoying some seasonal favourites

Black Press Media and BraveFace have come together to support children facing life-threatening conditions. Net proceeds from these washable, reusable, three-layer masks go to Make-A-Wish Foundation BC & Yukon.
Put on a BraveFace: Help make children’s wishes come true

Black Press Media, BraveFace host mask fundraiser for Make-A-Wish Foundation

Kevin Bieksa during his days playing with the Vancouver Canucks. (Photo: commons.wikimedia.org)
Bieksa to guest on free Canucks Alumni ‘Hot Stove’ on Zoom app

Former NHL player has become a game analyst on Sportsnet

114 Canadians were appointed Nov. 27 to the Order of Canada. (Governor General of Canada photo)
Indigenous actor, author, elder, leaders appointed to Order of Canada

Outstanding achievement, community dedication and service recognized

More than 60 cm of snow has fallen at Ulkatcho First Nation near Anahim Lake in the Chilcotin since a snowfall warning went into effect Thursday, Nov. 26. (Graham West photo)
VIDEO: More than 60 cm of snowfall in Chilcotin since Thursday, Nov. 26

Graham West of Ulkatcho First Nation captures the scene on video

Screenshot of Pastor James Butler giving a sermon at Free Grace Baptist Church in Chilliwack on Nov. 22, 2020. The church has decided to continue in-person services despite a public health order banning worship services that was issued on Nov. 19, 2020. (YouTube)
2 Lower Mainland churches continue in-person services despite public health orders

Pastors say faith groups are unfairly targeted and that charter rights protect their decisions

A big job: Former forests minister Doug Donaldson stands before a 500-year-old Douglas fir in Saanich to announce preservation of some of B.C.’s oldest trees, July 2019. (B.C. government)
B.C. returning to ‘stand-alone’ forests, rural development ministry

Horgan says Gordon Campbell’s super-ministry doesn’t work

Peter Wilson, left, and Micah Rankin, right, formed the Special Prosecutor team that was tasked with reviewing and litigating charges stemming from the Bountiful investigation. Trevor Crawley photo.
End of Bountiful prosecution wraps up decades of legal battles

Constitutional questions had to be settled before a polygamy prosecution could move forward

Alexandre Bissonnette, who pleaded guilty to a mass shooting at a Quebec City mosque, arrives at the courthouse in Quebec City on February 21, 2017. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Mathieu Belanger - POOL
Court strikes down consecutive life sentences; mosque shooter has prison term cut

The decision was appealed by both the defence and the Crown

Most Read