On April 1 there was a house fire on Mapes Road east of Vanderhoof.
Owners Linda Urquhart, son Derek and Don Kippan lost their home and, other than two photo albums and a couple of pictures, everything else was lost. They managed to save two dogs and one cat but Derek lost his corn snake and lizard.
The fire started from burning garbage outside and got into the grass at the back of the house. Linda and Don had styrofoam up getting ready to do the siding of the home and the fire traveled up and into the roof blowing a window out.
This is when Linda knew the house was on fire, she yelled for everyone to get out. The house was flattened within an hour.
Don, Linda and Derek would like to thank everyone that came to help, a couple of phone calls later 40 people showed up. They are out of the Vanderhoof fire area. A kitchen show was held April 3 at Mapes Hall for the family. Linda stressed they were happy everyone was safe and what a wonderful community Vanderhoof is.
Anyone wishing to donate household items or cash watch for more info in the Omineca Express.