Former Vancouver Olympic CEO John Furlong poses in Toronto on Oct. 29

Sexual abuse suit against John Furlong tossed

Sexual abuse suit against former Vancouver Olympics CEO John Furlong dismissed

  • Feb. 17, 2015 10:00 a.m.

By Geordon Omand, The Canadian Press

VANCOUVER – A judge has thrown out a second sexual abuse lawsuit against former Vancouver Olympics CEO John Furlong.

In a decision released Tuesday, B.C. Supreme Court Justice Miriam Gropper dismissed a claim filed by Grace West in 2013.

West alleged Furlong sexually abused her while he was a teacher at Immaculata Elementary School in Burns Lake in 1969 and 1970.

Referencing school records submitted by Furlong’s lawyer, Gropper concluded that West was not a student at the school at the time of the alleged abuse.

“On the basis of that evidence and there being no evidence to the contrary, I must find that Ms. West did not attend Immaculata in 1969 to 1970,” Gropper said in a written ruling.

“Her claim against Mr. Furlong, alleging that she was abused while a student at Immaculata in that school year, is not sustainable.

“In all the circumstances, I must dismiss Ms. West’s action.”

A statement from Furlong’s lawyer, Claire Hunter, said her client is pleased with the ruling.

“The false allegations brought against Mr. Furlong have caused great pain to him and his family over the last several years,” Hunter said.

“He views the damage it has done to his reputation as almost incalculable.”

The judge ruled that Furlong is entitled to costs.

His legal team filed an application last month to have West’s claim tossed.

It said her name appears on records showing she attended St. Joseph’s School in Smithers during the years when the abuse was alleged to have occurred.

According to the application, West initially failed to list Immaculata as one of the schools she had attended when interviewed by Furlong’s lawyers as part of pre-trial proceedings in 2014.

She was also unable to recall the name of the school where the abuse allegedly happened, Furlong’s lawyer said, adding that after a break in proceedings she said the school’s name was Immaculata.

West is one of three people who claimed they suffered sexual abuse by Furlong.

Beverly Abraham dropped her lawsuit in December, saying she was unable to handle the stress of legal proceedings on top of coping with the recent deaths of three family members.

A lawsuit by a third person, an unidentified man, has been undermined by court documents suggesting he too attended a different school during the time he said Furlong abused him.

Lawyer Jason Gratl initially represented all three claimants but withdrew from the two remaining lawsuits. He declined comment on the reasons, citing solicitor-client privilege.

The remaining lawsuit is scheduled to go to trial March 30.

Furlong has vehemently denied all allegations of sexual abuse, which first surfaced in 2012 after a Vancouver-based weekly newspaper published an article accusing him of verbal and physical abuse.

Furlong sued the paper and reporter Laura Robinson for defamation, later dropping the newspaper from the lawsuit. Robinson, in turn, countered with her own defamation suit against Furlong.

The Canadian Press has a policy of not naming alleged sex assault victims. Both West and Abraham agreed to have their names published but the man did not.

Follow @gwomand on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Vanderhoof’s Brian Frenkel takes on top job in tough times

We can get through this, new local government leader says

Cullen confirmed as B.C. NDP candidate for Stikine despite party’s equity policy

Former Tahltan Central Government President Annita McPhee said the process made her feel “abused”

CityWest to expand into Vanderhoof

The company will provide internet, TV and phone services over fibre-to-the-home technology

B.C. snap election: What we know about candidates running in the Nechako Lakes riding

Premier Horgan called for a snap election Monday, Sept. 21.

Manslaughter plea entered for 2012 death

Two others earlier pleaded guilty in murder of Fribjon Bjornson

BC Liberal Leader talks drug addiction in the Lower Mainland

Drug addiction and public safety a top priority says Andrew Wilkinson

Pandemic derails CP Holiday Train

Canadian Pacific will work to get donations to food banks while also producing an online music concert

Local councils important, Horgan says as municipal conference ends

B.C. NDP leader says ‘speed dating’ vital, online or in person

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

Penticton woman sentenced to one year in prison for manslaughter of teen boyfriend

Kiera Bourque, 24, was sentenced for manslaughter in the 2017 death of Penticton’s Devon Blackmore

B.C. Green leader says NDP abandoning environmental plan

Horgan’s claim of unstable government false, Furstenau says

Transgender B.C. brothers debut fantasy novel as author duo Vincent Hunter

‘Transgender people are being misrepresented in popular fiction and media, and we aim to change that’

‘Won’t be gathering for Thanksgiving:’ Trudeau says COVID-19 2nd wave underway

In all, COVID-19 has killed about 9,250 people in Canada

Most Read