Harry Sadd, 73, received an eight year sentence for eight charges related to sexual abuse of minor boys between 1970 and 1984. Based on time served, Sadd will serve six years, eight months. (RCMP)

Victoria substitute teacher sentenced to eight years for sexual abuse of young boys

Harry Sadd, 73, abused some victims hundreds of times

A Greater Victoria teacher who sexually abused a handful of young boys hundreds of times between 1970 and 1982 was sentenced to eight years in prison Monday morning.

Harry Sadd, 74, sat on one side of the courtroom while his victims and their loved ones filled the rows across the aisle, holding hands and holding back tears as the case was reviewed by Judge Adrian Brooks.

RELATED: Lawyer says substitute teacher fought sexual urges for 30 years

Harry Sadd pleaded guilty to eight counts related to the abuse, including three counts of indecent assault and five counts of buggery. Sadd was a substitute teacher and badminton coach for youth aged 10 to 18 years old. His charges stem from the abuse of six boys – the youngest nine years old – between 1970 and 1985.

Crown lawyers asked for a 10-year sentence, while defence sought two years less a day.

Sadd appeared stoic while Brooks read his decision and detailed the list of abuses – which occurred mainly in his home, on camping trips, overnight tournaments and in communal showers after badminton practice.

One of the victim’s, referred as R.D. under a publication ban, was in Grade 4 when Sadd began sexually abusing him. The court heard how that victim was abused by Sadd more than 200 times before he turned 15.

“This was quite a journey,” he told media after the decision was read in court. “I really, honestly just wanted to get it out there. Like this, s*** happens…I was a normal human being. It happened to me. It can happen to anyone.”

Sadd was initially sentenced to more than 25 years for the eight counts, but the sentence was reduced on the principle of totality, which comes into play when someone is sentenced for multiple offences. With the 14 months of time served factored in, Sadd will serve another six years and eight months in prison.

With files from Kendra Crighton.

RELATED: Victims tell of abuse at hands of Victoria substitute teacher



nina.grossman@blackpress.ca

Follow us on Instagram
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Court

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Northwest mines lengthen crew rotations in response to COVID-19

Northern Health confident precautions sufficient enough to keep work camps open

Coastal GasLink gives $100K to United Way efforts in Northern B.C.

Organization’s COVID-19 Relief Fund benefits seniors in isolation, among others

Don’t delay going to the ER if you have an ‘urgent or emergent’ medical problem: Chief of Staff

Dr. Rebecca Janssen writes a weekly letter to residents of the Omineca Region.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada lifts at-sea observer requirements due to COVID-19

Fisheries Management Order went into effect April 2 and will remain for 45 days

B.C. firefighters only responding to most life-threatening calls during COVID-19 pandemic

The directive comes after province spoke with paramedics, fire services, according to top doctor

Look at hospitalizations, not recovery stats for COVID-19, B.C. professor says

Cases in hospital are a definitive count of people who have the novel coronavirus

B.C. First Nations want to launch fight of Trans Mountain pipeline approval

Last month, the Supreme Court of Canada decided not to hear five challenges about the pipeline

N95 masks on the way for Canada after 3M reaches deal with White House

The Trump White House had ordered 3M to stop shipping masks to Canada

COLUMN: The other graph that shows B.C. can beat COVID-19

Is the curve being flattened? data on hospitalizations provides a crucial answer.

Here’s how to talk to people who aren’t taking physical distancing seriously

Approach the conversation with empathy says conflict expert

B.C. clears more acute hospital beds as COVID-19 case growth slows

Province holding about 40% of beds empty for peak still to come

As 500K+ apply for emergency benefit, Trudeau says aid coming for Canadians left behind

Canada Emergency Response Benefit provides $2,000 per month

UPDATE: UK PM Boris Johnson moved to intensive care after COVID-19 symptoms worse

He has been quarantined in his Downing St. residence since being diagnosed with COVID-19 on March 26

Most Read