Skip to content

George Wellington Lindsay

February 22, 2004

It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of George Wellington Lindsay. George passed away on February 22, 2004 at the age of 78 years with his loving wife and family at his side. George suffered a stroke in February 2000 that left his right side affected and fought lung cancer for the last few months.

George is survived by his loving wife of 58 years, Marjorie Juanita of Spiritwood, SK; a daughter, Diane (Robert) Wingerter of Mildred, SK; four grandchildren Barbara (Ernie) Heidt ñ Danyelle and Kolby of North Battleford, SK; Terry (Coralie) Wingerter ñ Alyssa and Devan of Mildred, SK; Bryan (Tammy) Wingerter ñ Jayden and Jacelyn of Mildred, SK and Kimberly (Alistair) Buchan ñ Ryan and Colin of Fort St. John, BC; two sisters Isabelle (Walter) Dulmage of Surrey BC and Francis (John) Walker of Rutland, BC; a sister in law, Bunny of Victoria, BC; numerous sisters in law, brothers in law, nieces, nephews and friends. He was predeceased by his parents, Gordon and Mary Jane; two brothers and two sisters and their husbands; and a grand daughter, Faith Marie.

George was born on March 31, 1935 at Stony Beach, SK, the youngest of seven children. George moved many times in his younger years with his family and eventually home was Fort St James, BC. George joined the navy at 15 years old and spent 2 ? years at Scapa Flow Base. His ship was the Algonquin and he was part of the Normandy Invasion. Upon discharge at Vancouver, he married Juanita Mitchell. They moved to Pinchi Lake where George and his Dad owned a sawmill. In 1953, the sawmill sold and they moved into Fort St James making this home for the next 47 years. George kept busy at numerous jobs and at age 65 years, bought a tow truck ñ Omineca Towing, and then added a second truck. He ran this solely for 10 years, until he suffered a stroke.

George was an active Legion member and volunteer fireman for many years. He loved the outdoors and participated in many sports, especially golf. In November 2000, George and Juanita moved to Spiritwood, Saskatchewan to be closer to family and health care as George became a resident of the Spiritwood and District Health Complex.

George received excellent care as a resident and he enjoyed keeping the nurses in line. He adapted to his physical limitations and spent many hours touring on his electric scooter. George had a sense of humor right to the end and he loved to shake the hands of the great grand children at each visit. His presence will surely be missed by all.

The funeral service was held on February 27, 2004 from the Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church in Spiritwood with Pastor Greg Fowlie-Neufeld as the officiant. George was laid to rest in the Mildred South Cemetery. Funeral arrangements were entrusted to Beau Lac Funeral Home of Spiritwood, SK.

Your condolences will be approved within one business day. You will need a valid Facebook account. Please email us if you have any questions.